Odenton Below $300,000
Odenton Above $300,000
The town of Odenton was formed in 1868 with the construction of the Baltimore Potomac Rail Road connecting Baltimore and Washington, D.C. which intersected with the Annapolis and Elk Ridge Railroad. The area that the two railroads crossed became a trading post with a train station and telegraph station. It was named after Oden Bowie, former governor of Maryland and President of the Baltimore Potomac Railroad. Over time the areas surrounding the railroad stations grew and developed into residential and commercial areas.
In 1917, the United States Department of War acquired 19,000 acres and developed Fort Meade to develop a training camp. Fort Meade spurred the growth of the area, which was accelerated in the 1950s with the establishment of The National Security Agency.
In recent years, Odenton has become the fastest growing area in the county due to the further development of Ft. Meade, and its proximity to Baltimore, Washington, and Annapolis, as well as BWI Airport.
Odenton has many very popular neighborhoods including Piney Orchard, one of Maryland's largest planned unit communities.